Sunday, October 2, 2011

I'm no super mom.

This Sunday afternoon I found myself wrapped up in a blanket indulging my girly desires with a movie. Now in my household, my husband being a movie buff and lets face it, a guy, usually has control over the television. Not to say, he doesn't succumb to my "chick flick" selections every now and again. {And secretly likes those movies...} But more often than not, the choices are testosterone filled.

Any of you women out there I am sure have sat and watched the movie, Julie and Julia with Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. As I sat watching it this afternoon, filled with cooking and delicious looking food, I couldn't help but begin critiquing my own time spent in the kitchen.

I'm still trying to find my common ground with my day's spent homeschooling. I enjoy having my kids with me during the day and founding their education for the adults they will become. But as my first year of schooling two {three partially including the preschool work I include to keep Brody involved} I assure you, this is not something that can be organized or structured overnight. Maybe and hopefully as the years progress and we become used to the idea of school days being formatted into life, but as rookies here? We have a ways to go.

I want nothing more than to be super mom. I want homemade cookies baking while I am teaching fractions. I want my toilets to glisten, and my hair {and the hair on three almost four tiny tots} to be neatly in place every second of the day. I want to be the women who can mop her floors in high heels. And in watching this movie, I want to serve my family a homemade extravagant meal each and every night as though Julia Child stopped by to play grandma.

And here is what I am learning. I am not super mom. {Sad face.} As mothers I think we create this image of what super mom actually is. It stresses me out. Trying to live up to these false, unobtainable, ideas of perfection. To feel as though no matter what I do, it isn't good enough. The thing you see, about Julia Child, is she was an optimist. She never looked at the glass half empty. She always found the bright side of things. That is what I need more of to become my ideal super mom. "Yeah but Megan, Julia had such a blissful life, of course she sees the glass half full." The movie was obviously about the blogger, Julie Powell cooking her way through Julia Child's cookbook. There was only brief memories inserted through out the movie to introduce you Julia and the history of her love of food and cooking. But it does braise the fact that Julia could not have children. She wanted a baby of her own so badly, and it was never something she got to experience. To live my entire life with such a desire, would bring forth it's own set of heartaches. Just as we faced with loosing Savannah. But we must choose to be optimistic. For ourselves.

I want to slow down, and realize that perfection is only what I am going to make of the situation. I am going to understand that I may not get to cleaning the bathroom today. That our school days may be organized chaos, or for a little while longer "unorganized chaos." But my kids are still learning. That everyday leads to opportunities. And that my homecooked meals may not always be lobster fresh from France, but they are made with love, and my family will be fed and together at the end of everyday. I am no super mom. I am no Julia Child. I may not be everyone's idea of perfection. But I trust that I am perfect to someone just the way I am...

3 comments:

Heidi Grohs said...

Love this post!!! Seriously....

Fields said...

I get in a tizzy over the state of my home and lack of good meals but if I put so much focus on making the house look like I wanted, it would be at my kids expense. There is nothing supermom about that.

For the record, I think you are supermom!!!! Really!

Tiffany said...

but you are super mom. you just have to change your definition of what that means. you love your children with such intensity, and it pours through every post. i'm sure they feel it too. now that is what i call "super mom." that is what is really important. not how clean your house is or how perfectly put together you and your kids are. it's just about love. :)